Monday, February 22, 2010

THESE SWORN TRUTHS

On Saturday I shared ten anecdotes about me or my life. One was a lie. I have to admit I enjoyed reading all the guesses about which one was made up because most of you were WRONG. This means I am a convincing story teller. Now I can proceed with chasing my dream of being a fiction writer with confidence. Thanks folks.

If you didn't read my ramblings you should go check them out BEFORE you read my answers below. Seriously, some of them are pretty craptastic if I do say so myself. And if you read the answers without knowing the stories this post won't be very entertaining (or make much sense.)

Now, onto the not-so-big reveal.

The majority of you guessed #7 was a lie.
Poor Mrs. Smith eating the million dollar M&M.

Sadly, and I can't imagine how often she must think about it; it is TRUE. I can hear all of you gasping and sighing for her. Wherever she is I'm sure she appreciates the sympathy--and is still trying to erase the incident from her mind.

We'll knock out the rest of these bad boys in order:

1.) I write in all capital letters all the time.
TRUE! Crazy, and yes it may sound too time consuming, but it's just the way it is. I do sign my name (in cursive) with lowercase letters when it's absolutely necessary, but that's the only exception. If you receive a card or letter from me you're going to see KAREN printed in all caps with some sort of doodle or fancy line under it.

2.) Aussies and Brits are like coffee and chocolate to me.
TRUE. Duh. I mean how many posts and/or comments have I swooned over someone or something of the British or Australian variety?

3.) I elbowed a famous superstar choreographer.
A few of you were hoping this was true. Not so much the elbow part, but the getting to dance with Sonya Tayeh aspect of it. Sleep easy tonight. It's TRUE. She even agreed to take a photo with me after I accidentally assaulted her. PS: I also danced with Sabra (winner of season 3).
4.) I landed my first solo skydive perfectly with no radio assistance.
I could only find a photo of my tandem jump, but the AFF solo landing is TRUE. I even have my jump log with my instructor's comments to prove it. He wrote, "PERFECT LANDING with NO RADIO." I didn't even ask him to write in all caps.

5.) I blew my chance to possibly be on the first season of The Amazing Race.
*Head to desk* This one really stings because I just watched the newest episode last night. *Deep inwardly sigh*
It's TRUE. *Shakes fist at the sky* We don't need to say anything else about this. It's just too painful.

6.) I had such horrible hives that I looked like an alien.
Dumb. My own idiotic fault for overdosing on Aleve, but TRUE. Come on, they couldn't all be spectacularly shocking. I wish I had a photo though. You would either have nightmares or a great image for your next sci-fi/fantasy character.

7.) No photo, but let's all give one more sympathetic groan and head shake for Mrs. Smith. She wishes someone took a photo of her with that M&M, and a pic of the bag with the serial number. I wonder if she ever ate M&Ms again. I wouldn't. It would be too painful.

8.) I won $720 in one shot of roulette.
TRUE. I couldn't believe it either, but I swear it happened. My two girlfriends can confirm it. They were a tad jealous and in disbelief at first but we love telling the story.

9.) A house I almost bought was leveled by a hurricane months later.
Cleverly Inked was the only one to guess correctly. THIS IS A LIE. I didn't get the house, but that was only 4 years ago and thankfully, no major hurricanes have hit my area of Florida since I moved here (knock on wood). These are the kind of stories I create to make myself feel better when crappy or disappointing things happen to me. Speeding ticket? It happened because if I hadn't got the ticket, I would have caused a 10 car pile up and people would have been hurt and possibly died. Then I'd have to live with that guilt and agony all my life. Extreme? Yes. But it makes me feel better about paying the $200 ticket, not getting the house, etc.

10.) I hit on Elliot Sadler (NASCAR Driver)
TRUE. I think my mom still wonders what might have been if I didn't move away to Colorado and lose touch with him. Okay, maybe it's me that wonders what might have been. Wouldn't we have made beautiful NASCAR racing babies?

So there you have it.

Some of these events would have never happened if I had done one thing differently, or made a different choice, or chose another path, but that's how life is. Cause and effect. Synchrodestiny. Some good, some bad. You roll with the punches, you learn from the supposed mistakes or missed opportunities, and you hope that in the end there might be a happily ever after. Or, at the very least, that you'll be able to tell some damn good stories.

40 comments:

  1. Your life is better than fiction and that nascar guy is HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good liar! That should make us great, long lost friends!! My motto is: I make stuff up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great! So funny. YOu lead a very exciting life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing to me that you've all of these OMG! experiences already - what will you be able to add in another 20 years, I wonder?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, well. Can't be right all the time. You, good lady, have apparently had a rather interesting life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Synchrodestiny. *grins* Your stories shine, true or not. And what a life! I'm still blown away by the no batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you're life is very exciting! Congrats on the awards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fantastic game. My boys play it at camp. It's called two truths and a lie. I have to say you were very convincing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to have to try this one time at my blog... *Shameless snatch and run* :0) Too fun and you are a fabulous story teller! Enjoyed both posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post!! Like Kristi, I am going to shamelessly steal this and use it on my blog. It's just too much fun. :)

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every one of these has to be included in some story or other. Or you could just write a memoir about jumping and rouletting and making beautiful Nascar babies... or maybe not too many details for the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've led an exciting life. I would have probably guessed the M&M thing was the lie too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it bad that I smile when reading about the M&M fiasco instead of sighing in sympathy? Methinks it is but I am a naughty face.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those were great. And I didn't guess right either. I thought maybe #5 or #10 was the lie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First, I can't wait to get a card or something from you. That sounds awesome.

    Second, I love The Amazing Race! And I bet you would've won! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like I am too late, you already got this award. I sent you the creative award on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These were so much fun to read. I could learn a thing or two from a liar like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the idea of random truths and one lie.

    What a fun idea!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  19. You really DID lose a chance to hug Phil multiple times?!? I weep for you! *weep weep*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahaha. I totally thought #9 was true and kept shaking my head last night after reading your post thinking, "Wow, can you imagine?" Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super fun stuff! Poor Ms. Smith though- that's absolutely awful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's so cool! I love all those stories. Even the lie. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I'm so jealous--you danced with *Sabra*, my favorite SYTYCD contestant!

    And man--I'd be so sad to have missed out on The Amazing Race, too!

    What an interesting life! (Poor Mrs. Smith. I was so hoping...)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, your life really does make good fiction. Very entertaining! Thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea. I feel like I know so much more about you now. :) I might have to steal this post idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, I was close. Sorta. I said that probably all the "unbelievable" ones were probably true. They were. Great stories though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful life you have...I would have never known if I didn't live in FL

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! I feel like my life is so boring compared to yours!
    I also love those Brits and Aussies! One of my favorite art blogs is http://andreajoseph24.blogspot.com
    She is from across the pond. You have to check out her post about fanny packs - hilarious! (I had no idea what fanny meant in the UK!)

    ReplyDelete
  29. You sound like so much fun. Love learning more about you. : )

    Now I must go back to my boring life...sigh. : D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love these and I can't stop thinking about Mrs. Smith. How do you get over that??? Seriously.
    Your life is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a cool list of truths! Each was as interesting as the last. I loved number three though. I'm a huge Sonya Tayeh fan!! Her work is always some of the best on SYTYCD, along with Mia Michaels.

    Great post :))

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, you've done a lot of cool and interesting stuff with your life. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Although it would be exciting to be on a reality show like Amazing Race, I'm not sure it's all it's cracked up to be. They usually do creative editing to create drama that isn't there and end up making the contestants look really bad. I think it might be a blessing in disguise that you skipped it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. How fantastic!! So glad they were all mostly true (well, maybe not the M&M's story...that kinda stunk). But what a cool life.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, I forgot to tell you! I gave you an award on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow! What a life... I want to be you!

    PS. Left a little something on my blog for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. That was so much fun, Karen. You're one interesting character!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my gosh! These are INSANE Karen. I missed the answers because I was kind of unplugged last week. You've lived one crazy life.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.